By Dr. Shamna
Routine is the most comforting thing you can give your body. You may struggle to put a daily routine in motion that is loving, consistent and integral; but, I can reassure you that Dinacharya or Daily Routine is a big part of good health.
Ayurveda has proposed an integral self care system for thousands of years. A regular and consistent routine helps to bring rhythm and harmony into the body and mind making them more stabilized.
To apply a very personal and specific routine you need to know your dosha and follow your Ayurvedic Doctor’s recommendations. However, there are certain things you may want to consider regardless of your dosha and specific needs.
- Wake up early in the morning before sunrise – at Brahma muhurtha (between 4am – 6 am). At this time the angle of the earth is pure and spacious giving the mind and body an opportunity to gain vitality and clarity.
- Wash your face and then splash fresh water on the eyes 4-5 times.
- Brush your teeth using natural tooth powders or paste.
- Do tongue scrapping, preferably with a copper scrapper which cleans your tongue and stimulates the digestive system.
- Gargle mouth with sesame oil for 3-5 minutes to ensure good oral health.
- Nasya – put 2 drops of nasya oil into each nostril and inhale it deeply to prevent the accumulation of mucus. It has many benefits for brain functions.
- Drink a glass of lukewarm water with juice of half a lemon and 1 tsp of honey before breakfast.
- Evacuate bowel and bladder movements.
- Practice 15-30 minutes yoga, meditation and pranayama (breathing exercises). If you don’t have a daily practice, see the “Practical Awakening” course.
- Do self-oleation or Abhyanga once or twice a week– oiling both head and body for 15- 20 minutes followed by a warm water bath using herbal soaps and shampoos. This gives an instant recharge to the muscles and mind.
- Do an oil enema at least 1-2 times a week as is highly beneficial. If you are not familiar with this practice, consult with your Ayurvedic practitioner.
- Choose a warm breakfast over dry and cold cereals. Consider soups and other fortifying “out of the box” breakfasts.
- Select a job that gives happiness and a stress free life. I know this may sound difficult; however, once you start meditating you will feel more secure to make choices that are in congruence with your natural gifts.
- Make lunch the large meal of the day.
- Drink enough plain lukewarm water throughout the day or take some herbal tea prepared with cardamom, cumin, ginger, basil or mint. Avoid drinking cold water or drinks.
- Exercise for 30 minutes every day utilizing half the capacity of the body.
- Make your daily shower a relaxing activity.
- Choose a light and early dinner.
- Do 10 minutes of meditation and contemplation of your day in the evening. Be grateful and praise yourself.
- Choose a regular and healthy sleeping routine. By 10 pm you should be in bed.
Our body, mind and general health really appreciate routine. We function better, deliver our ideas, emotions and potentials in a steady and mindful way. Consult Dr. Shaman to personalize your daily routine.