Daily Routine for Winter
Maintaining a predictable daily routine will help keep Vata in balance this winter. Kapha will benefit from keeping things fresh and a bit unpredictable, so do your best to strike an appropriate balance for yourself.
Certain parts of your day—like the times you rise, work, eat, and sleep—can easily be consistent from one day to the next, while other times of day can provide some variation and spontaneity.
- Start your day with a short but refreshing morning routine. Sleeping in a little later is somewhat permissible in the winter, but you will feel fresher and more motivated if you are up by about 7 a.m.
- Brush your teeth, scrape your tongue, and soothe and support your gums and oral tissue with oil swish.
- Treat your skin to a warm oil massage with the oil of your choice.
- Follow with a warm shower.
- After that, you can drink some warm water to activate the digestive system. Administer a few drops of Nasya Oil to the nasal passages to awaken the mind and lubricate the respiratory passages.
- Shake off any sluggishness with some morning exercise or yoga.
- Dress in bright, warm colours like reds and oranges, and always cover your ears, neck, and head with a scarf or hat if you are outside in the cold.
- Skip daytime naps; the long, dark, evening hours provide a perfect atmosphere for you to relax and unwind.
- Your body may also tolerate a little more nighttime sleep and/or increased sexual activity through the winter months.
- Plan on retiring around 10 p.m. or 11 p.m. and, before bed, apply some Bhrami oil to your scalp and to the soles of your feet to facilitate restful sleep.