Summer is pitta time, and in early summer our bodies use the extra fat accumulated in the winter. Our appetite changes and our Agni (digestive fire) increases so the body is ready to change to a diet that is lighter and better to sustain the heat of the summer.
Here are a few tips, including dietary changes, you can use to keep pitta dosha balanced and the digestive fire strong:
- Favor foods with sweet, bitter and astringent taste.
- Incorporate spices that are light, like cumin and coriander in your diet.
- Incorporate more fresh and raw food.
- Favor cool, dry foods and those with little oil.
- Eat fewer salty, sour and pungent foods.
- Fast for a 1/2 day.
- Drink plenty of fresh water.
- Eat at regular times each day.
- Eat a balanced breakfast and an early lunch.
- Avoid refined sugar.
- Limit alcohol and caffeine.
- Avoid conducting business while eating.
- Don’t eat poorly; trust your digestion can handle it.
These tips allow you to make the transition to this lighter pitta diet smoother. And remember to keep taking triphala every day and to do your monthly purgation.